- Omena’s Past
- OVPA Properties
- Support Us
Lavender Lane (LL) an example of an early 20th century house and outbuilding. At one time it was a private home and the unattached garage served as the owner’s shop, which was called the Woodland Herbs & Twisted Whiskers Gift Shop (a Northport farm). The shop sold lavender, other herbs, and gourmet food products. The main house was also a rental property for a number of years and badly in need of a serious update and rehab. In 2018, OVPA purchased the property, and then totally restored it. LL is now a summer cottage rental and a long-term winter rental. The unattached garage (outbuilding) serves as OVPA’s office/conference room and a computer “hot spot” for OVPA members to use, at no charge.
With its beautiful beach frontage and convenient location, it is a popular summer weekly rental as well as a winter long-term rental.
Contact April at Visit Up North for rental possibilities.
The Bidleman Sinclair Gas Station (1936): the station was once located where the Lavender Lane House/rental property stands today. Mrs. Charles Bidleman (Theresa) erected a Sinclair station just below the Presbyterian Church manse on the corner-curve where the cordwood once stood. The garage, one of three gas stations in Omena at one time, was in business for only four years. Mrs. Bidleman turned the property into a summer cottage. In 1938, she and her second husband, Charles Bidleman, reopened the Omena Inn that she owned and operated with her late husband, Tom Cordway. In 1946, it was sold to Albert and Lillian Landis, along with the cottage that is now the Lavender Lane House. The Landis family owned the properties until 1968.